7.5.11

Celebrating My Birthday Abroad


Busy Busy 
I'm sorry I've been kinda slacking with updating my blog, but the past few weeks have been pretty busy. Classes are slightly more work than I was anticipating/hoping for. Between tests, papers, and dragon boat training, there hasn't been much time. 

Dragon Boat
Around 25 international students and a handful of Taiwanese students have been training the past few months for the Kaohsiung Dragon Boat race that will take place in the beginning of June. We train 3 times a week together - one day of track and 2 days of paddling in the pool. The international team has won the past 3 years in a row. It has been a great way to get the international students involved in something together.

A Very Happy Birthday
Once I looked back on the past few weeks - I realized I needed to send out a shout out to all of those that made my birthday so wonderful this year. It was very strange celebrating a birthday away from my friends and family back home, but everyone here in Taiwan really made it super special. 

I haven't really experienced feeling homesick until those closest to me back home started to send me the sweetest birthday messages. It made me so happy and sad at the same time. I think I even shed a few tears. It made me realize how lucky I am with the amazing friends and family I have been blessed with. I missed them a lot. 


I was feeling sad until my new exchange family reminded me of all the love there is here in Taiwan. The night before my birthday Arthur took me to a very romantic Italian restaurant with fantastic food! This cheered me up immediately. The day of my birthday I had to go on a field trip for school that I was less than enthused about. It actually ended up being pretty interesting. We visited the Kymco factory where they manufacture the number 1 brand of Scooters in Taiwan, and also Advanced Group where they make the top 5 brands of golf clubs, and super light carbon fibre bike frames. That night myself, Arthur, Ally, and Justin went to our favourite BBQ restaurant. All you can eat for 2 hours and you BBQ the food yourselves. A real treat! They even surprised me with a cake :)



The next night, to celebrate with another girl's birthday, Tia from Finland, we went to one of our favourite places - KTV. This is Taiwanese karaoke where you rent a room and you can drink for very cheap. They have a ton of english songs, which is great. This night there must have been at least 20 people in our room. It was a fantastic night and a perfect way to end a birthday I will never forget!! 





Stay tuned to hear all about my trip to the Philippines!! 

Chantal
xo


No comments:

Post a Comment